“Business Convergence I of II”
SUMMARY: The first Mas2tering project workshop, namely “Business Convergence I Telecom/Grid Operator/Utility” which took place in Venice, Italy on 17 Oct 2014 and was hosted by Telecom Italia, ZigBee Alliance, and Energy@Home Association in the framework of “Smart Homes Day 2014.” It was the first of a four-part series of strategically timed Mas2tering workshops designed to help facilitate smart grid stakeholder interaction, provide inputs to the project, and widen project outreach and impact while fostering the RTD activities of the work program. The four workshops, which operate under two revolving themes in order to accurately reflect the needs and evolution of the project as they develop, involve the participation of the Value-Driven Advisory Group (AG), and are overseen by Work Package (WP) 1 leader R2M Solution for consistency, knowledge/result integration, and management. The overarching goal of the Mas2tering workshop series is to facilitate conversations, collaboration, scientific publications and joint services between utilities, DSO and telecoms. The present document briefly describes the objectives, organization, engagement and insights gathered while providing the AG bios, workshop agenda, keynote presentations, attendee analysis, project-level questionnaire overview, and workshop-level marketing brochure, as well as planned next steps and practical application suggestions for the base planning of Mas2tering’s second workshop, “Smart Grid Technologies and Use Cases I,” expected to be held in Brussels at the new GDF headquarters near September 2015 (M12).
The proceedings are structured whereby:
• Section 1 provides some background to the workshop and outlines the objectives and organisation of the co-located event.
• Sections 2 & 3 – describe the activities of the workshop and introduce the scientific and technical presentations.
• Section 3 is the where key findings and discussions arising from the content, recommendations for future workshop iterations are proposed, and next steps are discussed.
The first Mas2tering workshop was a success in that insights were gained from experts on the topic area, AG engagement was kicked-off, and lessons were learned to be passed off to the planners of the next project workshop. The results achieved and information gathered during the workshop is of high value, and a step forward towards securing key information necessary to the project’s success. Stakeholders in the topic area of the Mas2tering project were broadly represented, and their opinions and suggestions together with answers to specific questions were obtained and will continue to be solicited throughout the project.
Highlights of the workshop include:
• The inaugural public event of the project;
• Dissemination of project key messages
• Value-Driven Advisory Group participation
• Stakeholder engagement with top European DSO
• Leveraging partner networks and resources
• Knowledge transfer and strategic networking